Friday, January 29, 2010

Meet Luis

I just watched a video from Edutopia over Luis, an 18-year-old boy from Oregon. Luis has a passion for technology and loves to use it to benefit others.







I really liked that Luis had such a desire to share his knowledge with others. He didn't keep his passions for himself, but shared them with his family, friends, and younger students-a true teacher at heart! Luis really challenged me to look at technology in a light that is beneficial for others and not just myself.
I also liked that Luis took the time to sit down with his mother and use the internet to help his parents pay bills. Just a few weeks ago, my father called me for help writing a paper. I had mentioned to him that he could use an online bibliography website, and he called-many times-for help with this. I think it's great that I have the opportunity to help my parents learn about new things in the world of technology. However, I would like to be able to help them and others even more so.
I want to make it a point to use technology to help others. As a future teacher, it will be important for me to be open minded about using technology within the classroom. What are some ways I can use technology for the benefit of others right now? I could send an encouraging email to my missionary friend in India. I could tell my friend about a new running website I found on Diigo so she can check it out for her marathon training. I could also create a digital photo album to share with my mom so she can keep up with what I'm up to while off at college.

No comments:

Post a Comment